Veterans Assistance

Veterans Assistance Services in Mesa

If you are a military veteran, know that you may qualify for certain benefits. At Mesa elder law attorneys, we understand that determining what benefits you are eligible for can be difficult on your own. Our team of Mesa elder law attorneys has the experience and knowledge base needed to help you determine what benefits you qualify for and can walk you through the process of applying.

Veteran Pensions

Veteran pensions may be available to certain seniors age 65 and older who have a non-service-related disability and meet other financial qualifications. Although many veterans who have service-related disabilities are eligible for benefits, there are many additional veterans that have suffered non-service-connected disabilities that may require financial assistance to meet the basic costs of living.

Improved Pension or Non-Service-Connected Disability Pensions

Wartime veterans with low incomes may qualify for an improved pension if they meet certain income, service, and net worth limits, are age 65 or older, and have a permanent disability. To qualify, a veteran typically has to have at least 90 days of active-duty service with a minimum of one day during a VA-recognized wartime period. Veterans who have been discharged from the military due to a service-connected disability do not have to comply with this 90-day period.

Aid and Attendance (A&A)

Aid and Attendance is a type of veterans’ benefit paid in addition to an improved pension. Veterans may be eligible for an enhanced A&A pension if:

  • The veteran requires assistance from another person to perform basic functions of life, such as feeding, bathing, dressing, or adjusting prosthetic devices.
  • The veteran is a patient in a nursing home due to physical or mental incapacity.
  • The veteran is bedridden and is required to stay in bed apart from treatment.
  • The veteran is blind or nearly blind (e.g., has corrected visual acuity of 5/200 or less) in both eyes.

Contact a Mesa Elder Law Attorney

If you or a loved one is a veteran or a widow(er) of a veteran and requires assistance with long-term care expenses, a Mesa elder law attorney can help you determine what benefits you qualify for and assist you with the application process. For more information or to schedule a consultation, call the Mesa elder law team today.


Long-Term Care (ALTCS) Services in Mesa

Contact us

  • 2266 South Dobson Road Suite 200 – #2425 Mesa, AZ 85202
  • 480-470-7390